AEMS collects existing pavement data and conditions to develop network-wide capital Development and Pavement Management strategies to help predict future repairs and funding needs. These strategies utilize budgets based on paving design plans, specifications, and bidding documents are then provided for successful implementation. Plans include asphalt and concrete pavement rehabilitation, preventative maintenance, ADA compliance and other site issues such as drainage or structural improvements. Once these designs are complete, phasing plans, mix designs and construction administration is provided to facilitate project completion.
The capital deployment strategy utilizes a budget based on the projected funding allocations, and then distributes the funds for preventative maintenance, rehabilitation and reconstruction repairs based on the priority of pavements to maintain at the optimal level. Paving is integrated into MyPave asset management software.
Illustrated in the graph above, the critical point is where the cost to reconstruct and rehabilitate the pavements can accelerate up to 6-10x more than the cost of providing preventative maintenance repairs.
AEMS defines budget parameters through discussions with the client and maintenance staff into three Target areas. On the graph above, Target A represents the most realistic and common annual budget that will address preventative maintenance and deterioration issues. This is the typical budget followed by clients. Target B represents the recommended budget needed to sustain the pavements in the most cost effective manner. Not on the graph above, clients typically follow a Target C to only fix potholes, highly deteriorated pavements, or life safety rehabilitation needs, whereby, expenditures cannot sustain the pavement life economically.
AEMS works with clients to find ways to implement rehabilitation strategies to improve their overall budget parameters toward Target B.
AEMS Pavement Management Services for asphalt and concrete include partial-depth patching, full-depth patching, slab replacement and crack sealing. Projects include cold milling variable depths of asphalt pavement with asphalt overlays, Micropave designs spanning 10 states and rehabilitating heavy duty or standard duty concrete pavements. ADA upgrades are performed as part of this work for sidewalk, ramps and parking areas. Other specialized repairs include reinforced concrete pavement design, retrofitting load transfer concrete slabs with dowel bars and restore ride with diamond grinding surfaces.
Pavement Evaluation and Design:
- Asphalt Construction Implementation and Testing
- Undercut Minimization with Ground Radar
- Mix Design and Performance Review
- Tonnage Calculations to Verify Quantities Delivered
- Exterior ADA Compliance Investigations
- Pavement Condition Assessments
- Interior and Exterior Concrete Slab Repairs
- Full Property Condition Assessments
- Flood and Water Damage Analysis
AEMS Development Services involve working with public and private sector clients to achieve sustainable development outcomes through cost-effective, innovative and reasonable design approaches. As a utility infrastructure firm, AEMS offers development planning, engineering, cost estimating and construction implementation services.
- Surveying, Layout, Design, Permitting, and Construction
- ADA Evaluation and Design Per Title II & III
- Utility and Grading Plan Design and Permitting
- Landscape Architecture Evaluation and Design
- Site Survey, Planning, and Layout for Future Developments
- Agency Standard Permit Negotiations for Clients
- Manhole, Storm Drain and Detention Basin Evaluation, Drainage Studies, Porous Pavement Design, and Layouts for Green Infrastructure
- Concrete and Asphalt Improvements with Islands and Drainage Modifications Improve Aesthetics